Saturday, January 22

A Sip of Southern

I am a lover of all things ancient. Soaked in story and rich in history. Almost always, I choose the old over the new. It's no wonder then that New Orleans plays a siren song for me. There is no explanation, I have no ties to the city, however, when I am there I am present. I feel alive and filled with such a joie de vivre. I understand this happens to a lot of folks down there. One specific gift I have received from the Crescent City is my signature cocktail, the Pimm's Cup. Imbibed for the first time in the Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone, the bartender wove such a fantastic tall tale about the cocktail, I was sold {it's also quite refreshing}.

True story: in 1840, Pimm's No. 1 Cup was created by James Pimm, a bartender in London's Financial District. Originally created as a digestive tonic, Mr. Pimm blended a concoction of gin, quinine and a mixture of herbs. He began selling Pimm's No. 1 commercially and according to the company, only six people know the original recipe for the liqueur. The Pimm's Cup is still the most popular cocktail of choice at Wimbledon.

If you are in New Orleans, a Pimm's Cup at the Carousel Bar or, the more popular choice, the Napoleon House is a must. Thankfully, the mixologists at H. Harper here in Atlanta make a lovely version as well. I'll clink to that!

Pimm's Cup Recipe
Fill a tall 12 ounce glass full of ice
Pour 1 1/4 ounce Pimm's No. 1
Add 3 ounces of Lemonade
Top off with 7-Up
Garnish with cucumber

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to have one and can't wait to read more. You have me sold on the Pimm's cup already and I haven't even experienced it yet. Might have to see if the bartender tonight can make one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done and done. I am SO making these soon. Thanks for snagging the recipe!

    ReplyDelete