It's football season, y'all! Although it "officially" kicked off last week, this Saturday means true football for most SEC fans as we all face our first interconference opponent. While my husband is hitting the road to Auburn, I'll be making the trip from Atlanta to Athens to cheer on my Gamecocks. Since this is my first Saturday off since May, I am very excited to tailgate and socialize with my fellow Carolina alum. Tailgating is an art form here in the South and includes a Southerners favorite pastime: the partaking of an adult beverage. While Lexington has it's bourbon and Knoxville has it's moonshine, the rest of the southeastern states are focused on making beer. Really, really good beer. Here's a (very) short list of awesome brewers that are available for most SEC roadtrips and if you're lucky, home games too. Drink local, ya'll!
1. Dixie Brewing Co.; New Orleans, Louisiana (editors note: Due to facilities damage during hurricane Katrina, Dixie Beer is now brewed under contract offsite)
2. Terrapin Beer Co.; Athens, Georgia
3. Palmetto Brewery; Charleston, South Carolina
4. Abita Brewing Co.; Abita Springs, Louisiana
5. Lazy Magnolia Brewery; Kiln, Mississippi
6. Yazoo Brewery; Nashville, Tennessee